This is a great summer dish. You can make a lot of it and have guests serve themselves. It’s a perfect BBQ meal.
I marinate the chicken skewers and make a greek salad in the morning. That way the chicken and salad both have time to marinate in their flavours!
This is my one of my husbands favourite dinners that I introduced him to. He was a pretty picky eater when we met. He wouldn’t even try hummus! Now he loves it and actually makes this Chicken Souvlaki dinner for us, and that is a definite win for me!
You can buy pre-marinated souvlaki chicken skewers at most grocery stores if you don’t have time to marinate your own. You can also add peppers or remove the tomato, whatever you want with the vegetables.
I often skip the pita and make a salad with cucumber, onion, tomatoes, olives with balsamic dressing with my chicken on the side.
If you are doing a full out “greek” night meal. I would add lemon roast potatoes or a lemon herb rice with grilled pita hummus on the side.
If you like chicken dinners try this amazing Spiced Roast Chicken Recipe!
Chicken Souvlaki Pita’s
- 2 chicken breast cubed
- 5 bamboo skewers
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 tbsp worcestershire use for cooking onion, see note.
- 1 diced cucumber
- 1 diced tomato optional
- sliced kalamata olives
- pita wraps
- pre-made tizkiki
- pre-made hummous
- feta cheese
Season for Marinade
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp water
- Soak the bamboo skewers for 15 minutes.
- Mix marinade.
- Put the chicken cubes on the skewers.
- Place chicken kabobs in either large zip lock bag or flat high edged container. Pour in marinade and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes and stir around once or twice during chill time.
- Optional: Start cooking the onion over medium heat until tender and add Worcestershire just before you remove them from heat.
- BBQ or bake at 350 for 15 – 20 minutes until slightly charred.
- Oil the pitas on each side with a brush or spoon. Heat the oiled pita in a pre heated over 350F or on a pan over medium heat until toasty, just before golden brown.
- Add zitiki down middle of pita and add caramelized onion, cucumber, chicken and them drizzle more tizzy and feta. I build it this way so the toppings fall out less while you are eating it.