Made with fresh strawberry puree, yogurt and crushed flax seed!
This sweet strawberry flax loaf is moist and full of strawberry flavour. The yogurt gives it the moist texture and the homemade strawberry puree adds so much sweet strawberry flavour!
Buy fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries they both work just fine to make a homemade strawberry puree.
You can buy pre crushed flax seed or you can crush up the seeds yourself by hand or by using a food processor.
Strawberries – fresh or frozen
Strawberry yogurt – I use a one individual yogurt cup, about 1/2 a cup
Flax seed – pre crushed or whole
Brown Sugar – omit and use all white sugar if you do not have or want to buy brown sugar (or vice versa)
Vegetable Oil – or any light cooking oil. Melted butter is great but also expensive
White Flour – you could do half wholewheat flour or oat flour with the white flour
Strawberry Puree Recipe
Add one cup of chopped strawberries to a small pot, mash and cook down slowly over low/medium heat. If the strawberries are not producing much juices, add 1 tsp water. Once strawberries are cooked down into a sauce like mixture, add 1 tsp sugar. Stir sugar in until granules melt and cook down you puree until its not watery but still running. Remove from heat, let cool.
Quick Recipe Run Down
Crush up the flax seeds in a food processor and set aside (if they are not already pre-crushed)
Mix all the wet ingredient until combined really well and set aside.
Mix all the dry ingredient (except the flax seeds)
Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, stir until just mixed and add the crushed flax seeds until combined.
Pour batter into loaf pan, sprinkle with flax seed and bake at 325 for 45- 60 minutes.
Flax seed is commonly used to improve digestive health or relieve constipation.
I grind up the flax seed because our bodies do not naturally break the seeds down, so we don’t digest all the nutritional value from them.
Strawberries contain many health benefits although they are all great I like strawberries for the fibre content. 1/2 cup strawberries contains 2g fibre! Get it where you can folks.
Storage & Reheating
Loafs can be stored in freezer for up to 6 months if properly wrapped.
Leave out on counter until defrosted completely.
Strawberry Flax Loaf
- 1 cup strawberry puree 10-12 strawberries, mashed and cooked down for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 tbs sugar.
- 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt one individual yogurt cup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup oil any light cooking oil
- 2 tbs crushed flax seeds
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325F
- Grease a loaf pan and add strip of parchment in the centre with some hanging over the edge of the loaf pan
- In a bowl mix the strawberry puree and strawberry yogurt with the sugars until combined
- Add the vanilla and oil, stir until combined then mix in the egg
- Mix all the dry ingredient together in separate bowl
- Combine the dry ingredient to the wet and mix until almost combined, add the crushed flax and mix well
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and level out the batter and sprinkling flax seeds
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes, until golden brown or tooth pick comes out clean