So easy and cheesy, this bacon potato soup is worth a try!
This is a perfect soup for when you have little time and a bunch of potatoes to use up! It’s cheesy, creamy and filling. There is nothing better than a homemade bacon potato cheese soup on a cold day!
Why is it so easy?
Most of the time when I make a soup it will start out with a mirepoix for proper flavour. I didn’t use one in this recipe because we don’t always have a bunch of vegetables on hand. That’s why this soup recipe is so nice, its basic, affordable and requires little ingredient.
What is a mirepoix?
Mirepoix is a French flavour base. A combination of onion, carrot and celery generally cut to the same size. The ratio is 2 parts onion to 1 part celery and carrot. Italians refer to the mirepoix as soffritto.
Mirepoix or soffritto is the starting point for countless recipes building deep flavour that enhances even the most basic recipes!
If you are a vegetarian you could skip the bacon and use vegetable broth instead. If you are vegan I am not sure this soup is for you! But you could try this vegan recipe from Vegan Huggs, Vegan Baked Potato Soup
Bacon Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 lb diced potatoes
- 10 strips bacon
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth can use vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- pepper & salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Dice the onion and chop the bacon into small bits
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add the bacon, cook until tiny bubbles form or the bacon is looking golden brown
- Removed the bacon and place on paper towel but leave the bacon grease in the pot
- In the same pot with the bacon grease over medium heat, add the diced onion and cook until translucent
- Add the crushed garlic to the onion and stir until fragrant
- Add the flour slowly and mix it in until combine and it starts bubbling
- Now whisk in the chicken stock until combined
- Pour in the milk while you are whisking, whisk whisk whisk until the mixture is smooth (granted there are chunks of onion)
- Add the cubed potatoes and all the spices, bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender about 5 – 8 minutes, check with fork
- Once potatoes are tender remove from heat and mash some of the potatoes for more texture
- Now for the good part, stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and combine well!
- Top with bacon bits and more shredded cheese! Enjoy!