This is a perfect Mac and Cheese recipe for first timers!
It only requires 5 main ingredients and has a really easy cooking method. Once you get the hang of this easy cheesy roux based Mac and Cheese, you can start to get creative!
- Pasta Noodles
As mentioned above this is an easy roux based Macaroni and Cheese recipe. Do not be afraid to make a roux if you have not made one yet. Just keep stirring and do not over heat and you will be fine!
This recipe calls for only cheddar cheese because that is a basic cheese but you can add all sorts of cheese. Like mozzarella, gruyere and Parmesan!
Once you get a hang of this basic mac n cheese recipe you can start getting creative with adding different ingredients!
What kind of noodles for Mac n cheese?
Bow ties, elbow, spiral, shells, penne etc…any medium sized noodle works perfect. Although I have wondered if I could make a Mac and Cheese Spaghetti!
Why do they call it mac and cheese?
Mac is short for “macaroni”, simple as that!
Does mac and cheese need a roux?
You don’t have to make a roux for mac and cheese. Many mac and cheese recipes call for butter and flour, which is known as a roux. Roux’s job is to thicken up that cheesy sauce.
I think roux is an important part to a good Mac and Cheese. I don’t never make a Mac without the roux base. Don’t be afraid of making your first roux, you can roux it!
What 3 cheeses make Mac and Cheese?
Sharper Cheddars and Parmesan are both favourable and great for Mac and Cheese. Gruyere is a perfect cheese to use because melts like cheddar and taste amazing. I do like to add mozzarella for a little cheese pull.
Is Mac and Cheese Healthy?
Not really. You should probably only eat mac and cheese in moderation. Macaroni and cheese is typically high in calories, containing 300–500 calories per serving.
What can you add to Mac N Cheese for more flavour?
Spices, Garlic, Onion, Chili Spice, Jalapeños, vegetables like corn, broccoli, bacon, ground beef, chicken, sausage.
Whatever you like really, maybe not marshmallows or oranges but you get it. It’s a pretty versatile dish.
Comment below if you thought making the roux was easier than expected!
Simple Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow noodle any medium sized noodle like shells, penne, fusilli etc
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta while you work on the roux
- Roux: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat and stir in flour until smooth and starts bubbling about 5 minutes
- Pour milk in slowly while constantly stirring, do not stop stirring because you do not want the milk to burn. Watch the heat, if medium seems to hot lower heat slightly. Stir for about 5 minutes until smooth and starts bubbling
- Turn of heat and add cheddar cheese one cup at a time and stir in until smooth
- Pour over noodles and mix well
- Baking Option: Top with more cheese and sprinkle Panko onto of cheese. Bake in oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Let sit for 5 and serve!