This lasagna is the best of the best!
It’s rich, saucy, cheesy and smooth lasagna that holds together and is tender all the way through. There are a few special ingredients that might surprise you!
- ground beef
- Italian sausage or chorizo
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- coffee lager
- red wine
This is the best dish my husband can make to date. We just made it last night for company and they were raving about how it’s the best lasagna they have ever had. More than one person has said they don’t usually like lasagna but they love this one. I am one of those people.
Growing up my mom would make frozen lasagna from the store and it was mush. I have tried a vegetarian egg plant lasagna and it was so wet. I was really turned off of lasagna for a long time, until this one!
This lasagna is saucy and rich but not runny and messy. It holds together with perfection! The noodles are tender and the tomato sauce is ripe. The ricotta is extra smooth and the cheese is finely grated for the perfect texture of ricotta cheese mixture.
There are two ingredient you do not want to skip! Red wine & coffee beer! If you do not have coffee beer in your region. Add some lager and a shot of espresso or cup of coffee.
Kevin’s got some tips:
- Buy extra smooth Ricotta and shred the mozzarella cheese extra fine. This helps spread the ricotta cheese mixture onto the lasagna noodles.
- Use oven ready lasagna noodles, such as Cantelini
- Pick up each lasagna noodle and spread the cheese on one at a time.
- Split the ricotta cheese mixture into three for even spread.
- 1 box oven ready lasagna noodles, such as Cantelini divided
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese divided
Tomato Meat Sauce
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage chorizo is a nice substitute
- 1 diced onion
- 4 garlic
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup coffee lager
- 1/2 cup red wine
Ricotta Cheese Mixture
- 2 cups extra smooth ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley 4 tsp dried parsley
Tomato Meat Sauce
- Brown the lean ground beef and Italian sausage and drain most of the fat.
- Add the diced onion to the pot and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and heat until you can smell the sweet garlic smell (do not cook long, if garlic browns it becomes bitter)
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and all the seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Pour in red wine and coffee beer, turn down and simmer for an hour or until sauce thickens.
Ricotta Cheese Filling
- In a bowl mix the ricotta cheese, parmesan and finely grated mozzarella.
- Beat the egg in small bowl before adding to the cheese mixture.
- Add the parsley and a dash of salt and pepper, mix well.
- Split the ricotta cheese mixture into 3 sections for even layers of cheese on each lasagna noodle.
- Start with Sauce on the bottom and then Noodles and then Cheese.
- Do that for three layers and finish with sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F for 45 minutes and then pull out add the 2 cups cheese and finishing baking until cheese is golden brown.
- Once done, let the lasagna sit for 15 – 20 minutes before serving so it can set. Enjoy!