Spicy golden yam taco pie with a layer of mozzarella for that perfect cheese pull!
This is a spicy taco seasoned ground beef casserole dish. The golden yams are sweet and salty with a soft smooth texture. The taco seasoned beef is loaded with gravy and corn. The spices ground beef balances with the sweet corn for a perfect bite. Oh and don’t forget the layer of mozzarella cheese melted under the mashed yams!
If your grocery store does not have golden yams or yams of any kind. Try a sweet potato or just regular potatoes like Yukon golds. The dish will not have the sweetness from the yams that I think works so well with the spicy beef. But do not let not having yams stop you from trying this affordable meal.
All you need:
Golden Yams – sweet perfection and smooth texture
Sour Cream – add the a nice tangy flavour
Ground Beef – extra lean mean
Can of Rotel – I am obsessed with this product right now, adds so much flavour!
Onions – any onion will do
Zucchini – perfect vegetable for adding but it doesn’t change the texture or over power with it’s flavour
Spices – use whatever you got. Use a premed seasoning or make a taco seasoning mix or just use chilli powder, salt and pepper.
Mozzarella – I use mozzarella because it’s not greasy and I wanted the cheese pull texture.
A quick and easy recipe!
Peel and cook the yams, add butter and sour cream. Mash!
You can roast the golden yams first then smash for a more complex flavour.
Cook the beef and drain any fat, add all the other ingredients and seasoning.
Simmer, build, bake!
If you are short on time, skip the bake and made a roast yam bowl. Place the beef mixture onto of the golden yams (mashed or roasted) and top with shredded cheese.
Storage & Reheating
Freeze the dish before you bake it. So prepare the casserole as you would but instead of baking, cover with tin foil and wrap place in large zip lock freezer bag. Press out all the air. This will last for up to 6 months.
To reheat, bake in 370F preheated oven from frozen for 45 – 60 minutes or until you see bubbling and golden brown.
More Recipes From Third Street
My husbands amazing Lasagna recipe!
The easiest Mac n Cheese for beginners
The perfect Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Golden Yam Taco Casserole
- 2 cups golden yams any potato from sweet – yukon till work
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Taco Beef Filling
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 cup diced zucchini use any vegetables you like
- 1 cup corn frozen, canned or fresh corn
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomato and green chilli any canned diced tomato and green chilli or omit and add 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs chili powder or one taco seasoning pack
- 1/2 tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs cumin
- 1/4 tbs paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cube the yams and add them to a pot with an inch of water over the yams. Bring to a boil and cook while you start the browning the beef. Set a timer for 8 minutes and check for tenderness.
- Brown the beef over medium heat and drain the fat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent. Then add the corn, Rotel, zucchini, and all the seasoning.
- Simmer uncovered until the taco beef mixture thickens a little.
- Pour the taco beef filling into the casserole dish and Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly onto of the beef mixture.
- While the taco beef simmers, mash the yams with sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Top with the mashed yams and press the mashed yams down along the edges so the gravy doesn't bubble out while cooking.
- Drag your fork from one end to the other both directions to score the top with rough lines.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown or you see bubbling.
- Let sit for a few minutes and serve, enjoy!