A delicious tomato chicken soup broth with Boursin cheese, tomatoes, cheese stuffed tortellini and shredded chicken!
This is an easy soup made with limited ingredients perfect for anytime of the year. The Boursin cheese adds so much flavour to the broth and tones down the acidity in the tomatoes. Shredded chicken distributes through out the soup better than diced chicken, making the perfect bite every time!
When I say this soup flavour town I am not joking, every bite you will think “wow” and go back for more until it’s gone. Every time I make this soup we all end up finishing the pot in one sitting!
Note: I prefer to cook the pasta separately when it comes to most pasta dish recipes. For example with this soup I find tortellini can easily over cook if added directly to the soup and they fall apart. So trust me with this soup recipe and the way I add the tortellini to the soup bowls separately upon serving and pour the soup over top!
Boursin Cheese has many different flavours, any flavours would be nice (expect maybe the cranberry). I used Herb & Garlic Boursin Cheese.
Diced Canned Tomatoes, again you can buy various flavours of canned tomatoes, I used the herb & garlic.
I prefer shredded chicken breast but you could use chicken thighs.
Canned Diced Tomatoes – herb and garlic
Tomato Paste – you can totally skip on this
Chicken Breast – or chicken thigh
Chicken Broth – I use a liquid concentrate by Knorr
Boursin Cheese – herb and garlic
Italian Seasoning – premixed
Salt and Pepper
Mozzarella or Parmesan
Quick Recipe Run Down
Make the shredded chicken first. Add the chicken breast to a pot and cover with one inch of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium for 8 – 10 minutes. Drain, let chicken cool. Shred with two forks by pulling away from each other. Set shredded chicken aside.
Start a pot of boiling water for the cheese tortellini. While the water comes to boil start preparing the broth by adding the garlic and tomatoes with juice and bringing to a simmer. Add the shredded chicken and then the chicken broth. Once the chicken has hung out in the broth for a little bit, it’s ready to serve.
Add the tortellini to the bowls and then top with chicken and broth. I am particular on the balance of noodle, broth and chicken. That is why I like to add the chicken and broth onto top of the noodles. As well as I find when I cooke the noodles directly in the soup, they over cook and fall apart.
Storage & Reheating
Store in airtight container in your refrigerator for 3 days, reheat on stove or microwave. Do not over heat because tortellini will fall apart and become soggy.
I would not recommend freezing this soup with the pasta but freezing just the soup base (broth and chicken) would be fine for up to 3 months in the freezer. To defrost I would leave in the fridge over night, then reheat and make your fresh tortellini.
Chicken Boursin Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 2 shredded chicken breasts
- 2 cups cheese stuffed tortellini
- 3 crushed garlic gloves
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, canned *herb and garlic flavour
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth *substitute with vegetable or beef broth
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper *I use a Rosemary infused sea salt
- 1/2 round of Boursin cheese *hebr and garlic flavour
- Add two chicken breasts to a pot and fill with water until about an inch above the chicken breast. Bring to a boil, turn down to medium low heat and cover for 8 minutes or until 165.Drain water and let chicken breast sit for a few minutes until you shred them. Once cooled a bit, shred with two forks, pulling the chicken apart. Using your hands/fingers is a very easy to shred chicken as well! Set the shredded chicken aside until the soup is ready for you to add it.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and add the cheese tortellini, bring to a boil again and turn to medium high heat until cooked as per the package time or until tender about 6 – 8 minutes, set cooked tortellini aside until ready to serve
- Heat crushed garlic over medium heat with some olive oil until fragrant
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add Italian season, salt and pepper, continue to simmer for about 3 minutes
- Add shredded chicken and pour the chicken broth over top, give a good stir!
- Bring soup to a boil then turn down to a low simmer for 15 minutes
- Turn off the heat and dd the 1/2 round of Boursin cheese and slowly mix it in to the soup
- To serve: Add cheese tortellini into bowls and scoop the Boursin chicken soup onto the tortellini, top with shredded moose or parmesan cheese.