Ever since I tried that viral tick tock Rotel, cream cheese and sausage dip. I have been obsessed with Rotel! I want to use it in everything. We cook a lot of Tex Mex dishes and try to cook authentic Mexican dishes. The Rotel flavour is so perfect, I can’t wait to try it in our favourite dinner recipes. The green chilis are not too spicy, it just adds the kick you want!
This mildly spicy Tex Mex meatball recipe is one the whole family will enjoy! You only need one pan/pot and the ingredients are very simple. Try this recipe tonight! Garnish with sour cream and cheese.
These meatballs are inspired by a recipe my grandma would make from her childhood. It was a simple dish that required only a few ingredient creating a delicious meal. Although it did need a little kick so I spruced it up a bit!
I switched out the canned tomato soup for tomato sauce and a can of Rotel. I also did not add the rice into the meat ball, which you can. I made it on the side. I usually use basmati rice although like I mention, any white rice will work.
Honestly, you could skip the rice altogether and make meatballs in Rotel tomato sauce. It would still be a really easy delicious meal!
To the meatballs I add finely chopped onion, Worcestershire, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian mix, paprika and of course salt and pepper.
Spice these up however you like, add Montreal steak spice or garlic herb seasoning. Just remember when you are adding premixed seasoning, you might not have to add salt. A lot of pre mixed seasonings have salt in it already so be sure to check the ingredient list.
The pot cooking method is easy:
- Brown the meatballs in batches
- Add Rotel tomato sauce over meatballs, bring to boil
- Simmer for 45 – 60 min
The flavour profile is similar to Stuffed Peppers but Tex Mex! Here is a simple Stuffed Pepper Recipe I like to make from Betty Crocker.
I love serving this with a side of cheesy garlic toast or grilled cheese sandwiches! Give it a try and comment below if you liked it or have a tried similar recipes!
Tex Mex Rice Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 finely diced onion
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbs cooking oil
- 1 can Rotel finley chopped tomato & green chilis
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup broth (beef or vegetable) water
- 2 crushed garlic
- salt & pepper
- Mix onion, ground beef, Worcestershire and all the spices together in a bowl really well with your hands.
- Form mixture into ping pong sized balls.
- Add oil to sauce pan and brown the meatballs over medium high heat until all sides are browned. Do not over crowd the pot, work in smaller batches. It's easier to roll the meatballs with less balls.
- Remove the meatballs and drain fat, if you want. You don't have to, you can just add all the browned meatballs back to the pot.
- Add diced onion and cook until tender.
- Pour in the can of Rotel, tomato sauce, corn and water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn onto low simmer for 25-30 minutes. Serve over rice.
Photo by Fidel Fernando